Many propane-powered products are designed without the inclusion of a tank gauge. This is typically done to keep prices low on devices like propane-powered gas grills. However, every gas-powered item would include a gauge and a tank. Like a propane tank, this propane tank gauge is an inexpensive addition that helps you get the most out of your propane-powered product. The best propane tank gauges are simple yet effective in helping you keep an eye on the propane levels of your specific propane-powered device. In addition to this, some propane tank gauges are equipped to indicate if a gas leak has been detected.
In contrast to natural gas, propane gas is heavy than air. These heavy properties cause propane gas to gather close to the floor. Due to this, any flames stemming from a propane gas leak are going to be closer to the ground, which makes it extremely dangerous. Thus, it’s imperative to have a leak-free connection when using your propane-powered product, and even more important to pick the right propane tank gauge.
Short on Time? Consider These Top 3
DOZYANT Propane Tank Gauge Level Indication Device Best Overall
Astor Propane Tank Pressure Indicator Barbecue Gauge Best Installation
Cuisinart CTG-200 Propane Tank Gauge <strong>Best Readability</strong>
What are the Best Propane Tank Gauges?
All your propane-powered devices must be accompanied by the best propane tank gauges. This is to prevent any problems from a gas leak. However, the market is flooded with many devices that are advertised as being the best propane tank gauge. As a result, choosing the best propane tank gauge for your specific propane tank can be daunting. For this reason, we have searched the market to find 10 of the best options to pick from when purchasing a propane tank gauge.back to menu ↑
10 Best Propane Tank Gauge Comparison Table
|DOZYANT Propane Tank Gauge Level Indication Device||8.8 ounces||4 x 2.5 x 2 inches||Check Price|
|Astor Propane Tank Pressure indicator Barbecue Gas Grill Gauge||12 ounces||4 x 2.5 x 2 inches||Check Price|
|Cuisinart CTG Gas Grill Gauge -200 Propane Tank Gauge||0.16 ounces||4.5 x 2.25 x 2.75 inches||Check Price|
|Camco Propane Gauge and Leak Detection Device||10.5 ounces||4 x 3 x 10 inches||Check Price|
|GASPRO Propane Tank Gauge Level Indication Device||10.5 ounces||12 x 15 x 15 inches||Check Price|
|GasOne 50120 Propane Gas Gauge||9.6 ounces||4 x 2 x 3 inches||Check Price|
|Shinestar Propane Tank Gauge||10.4 ounces||4.4 x 3.4 x 2.2 inches||Check Price|
|Gauge Master Premium Propane Tank Gauge||9.9 ounces||3.5 x 1.75 x 2.5 inches||Check Price|
|Gasland Propane Tank Gauge||16 ounces||4.8 x 4 x 2.6 inches||Check Price|
|Grill Gauge Original Propane Tank Scale||5.4 ounces||4.5 x 1.25 x 3 inches||Check Price|
10 Best Propane Tank Gauge on the Market: Detailed Reviews
1. DOZYANT Propane Tank Gauge Level Indication Device – Best Overall
The DOZYANT Propane Tank Gauge is our top choice for the best propane gauge currently on the market for various reasons. One of our favorite things about this gauge is that it’s available at a consumer-friendly price while offering high-quality features. Due to this, you’re getting the most bang for your buck when purchasing this gauge.
The product is designed with a larger dial, which makes it easy to read at a glance. You aren’t required to bend down and squint to view the pressure level of your propane tank. In addition to this, it accounts for the surrounding air temperature. It’s designed to acclimatize to hot, cold, and cool days for the most accurate readings.
The inclusion of advanced technology also makes this gauge an excellent leak detector. This leak detector feature is built-in and works to stop the flow of propane gas if a leak is detected. It fits up to a 40 lb propane tank and uses Qcc1 or Type 1 connection. The attached thread coverings protect these threads when the gauge isn’t being used for enhanced durability.
If you're hoping for a large and visible dial, this is the right gauge for you. Plus, it is compatible with various cylinders, so you're good to go for many situations.
- The color-coded dial is large and visible, which makes it easier to see at a quick glance if your propane tank pressure is low.
- The tank gauge level indicator monitors these fuel levels without removing the tank and accounts for ambient temperature changes.
- The tank gauge level indicator is designed with heavy-duty construction that’s made from 100 percent solid brass, which works to withstand corrosion, denting, scratching, and weather conditions.
- It’s compatible with peripherals and can be included with propane tank cylinders, propane adapters, and propane regulators that have a hose.
- The construction of this tank gauge level indicator doesn’t include male threads. This means that it fails to fit older and larger POL-type tanks, such as the 100-pounders.
2. Astor Propane Tank Pressure Indicator Barbecue Gauge – Best Installation
One of the best features surrounding the Astor Propane Tank Gauge is its solid and unmatched reliability. From our experience, we can state that it’s a no-frills gauge and offers a simple design that gets the job done right. This propane gauge is equipped to go straight into the tank from its box. Installing this gauge is made effortless as no tools are needed. Not to mention, the long stem included in its design provides leverage and torque when it comes to installing the gauge by hand while in tight spaces.
In addition to this, the simple dial graphics included in its construction make it easy to read and allows users to see how much longer than can cook with the specific propane gas tank. Adding to this, the leak detection feature helps restrict the flow of propane gas. This ensures that users remain safe while using propane gas. You’re also given peace of mind as the heavy-duty brass construction comes with a one-year warranty.
The simple dial graphics included in its construction make it easy to read and allows users to see how much longer than can cook with the specific propane gas tank.
- This tank gauge level indicator is equipped with a long stem for easy installation. The longer stem size makes the process of installing this propane tank gauge more straightforward and effortless.
- The model comes with a one-year warranty. The manufacturer covers any defects present in the construction and performance of the product for one year.
- The inclusion of a smaller gauge dial requires users to lean in closer to gain an accurate reading, which we found to be inconvenient.
3. Cuisinart CTG-200 Propane Tank Gauge – Best Readability
The Cuisinart CTG-200 holds the reputation of being a dependable gauge. It gets the job well and is backed by an established brand. Cuisinart has specifically designed this gauge with a larger-sized dial to make for easy readability. This is the most distinctive feature of this gauge, which is why we have awarded it the title of having the best readability. Due to this, readings are easily spotted after a simple glance. We found that we didn’t need to bend down and squint to see the propane gas levels.
With that being said, there isn’t much that sets this gauge apart from other models on the market. It comes equipped with a straightforward design with steady performance. However, you are paying for the established brand name, but you’re guaranteed a product that’s going to stand the test of time.
If readability is a huge concern for you, this is the gauge you want. You can be far away and still read it easily. However, it costs more and might not fit anything more than 20 pounds!
- The large readable dial included in the design of this propane gauge allows for easy readability when you’re at a distance, which we found very convenient.
- This product is backed by a trusted brand. Cuisinart has the reputation of being trustworthy, reliable, and has made a name for itself in the kitchen appliance space. Thus, you’re guaranteed a quality item when purchasing this propane tank gauge level indicator.
- The product only firs up to 20 lb. tanks compared to other models that can fit up to 40 lb. tanks.
- The cost is significantly more when looking at products with similar features on the market. We found other propane gauges that offer more features for less.
4. Camco Propane Gauge and Leak Detection Device – Best Luxury
The Camco Propane Gauge is an excellent option for customers who are wanting a product that supports professional use. This is the exact device you could expect to see in a professional kitchen. The design of this propane gas gauge is equipped with large and extensive dial graphics. Not to mention, all readings account for ambient temperature for the most accurate results. Due to this, readings can be seen as reliable even if it’s a cold, hot, or cool day. This is similar to our top pick, the DOZYANT Propane Tank Gauge.
However, the most prevalent between these models is that the Camco gauge is more expensive. Like the other products on this list, the Camco is easy to install and offers excellent performance when checking the pressure of the gas inside the tank. However, the additional benefit of ambient temperature reading enhances its appeal.
Those who want the best money can buy are sure to appreciate this gauge. It has large graphics, so you can read it easily, even if you're in a hurry.
- This propane tank gauge level indicator is designed with large dial graphics, which make it easy to read at a glance.
- These propane tank gauges are equipped with ambient temperature readouts. This means that this product can take surrounding air temperature when reading the pressure gauge.
- This propane tank gauge comes at a higher price than other propane tank gauges.
5. GASPRO Propane Tank Gauge Level Indication Device – Best Budget-Friendly Option
The GASPRO Propane Tank Gauge is the right option for you if you’re looking for a small, simple, and budget-friendly option. The dial included in the design of this gauge is one of the smallest on this list, but this allows the attractive price point that we thoroughly enjoy about this product.
However, readability isn’t compromised when looking at the propane level on the dial. This is due to the dial being color-coded. Nonetheless, the brass construction offers enhanced durability and remains consistent in revealing the pressure of propane gas inside the tank. Its installation is easy and can fit a QCC1 Type 1 connection. Not to mention, the leak detector feature is designed to provide additional safety and works to restrict the fuel level if a gas leak is detected.
Are you on a tight budget? If so, this is the gauge for you. Though the dial is smaller and harder to see, it has an affordable price!
- One of the most well-liked features about these GASPRO tank gauges is the affordable price associated with purchasing this product when compared to competitor tank gauge models.
- It’s equipped with a simple construction that makes installation effortless.
- The smaller dial compromises the visibility of the indicator.
6. GasOne 50120 Propane Gas Gauge – Best Value for Money
The GasOne 50120 Propane Gauge offers the best value for money. It’s available at half the cost of other propane level gauge products, making it the ideal option for those who are watching their spending, but not wanting to sacrifice on quality.
This leak detector gauge is designed with solid brass construction. This ensures that you’re receiving a sturdy device that’s built to last. It’s equipped with a universal Type 1 connection and fits standard five to 20-pound tanks. The installation of these gauges is effortless, rapid, and doesn’t require any special tools.
Finally, the indicator is easy to read as the dial is designed with three different labels. These are refill, low gas, and gas. The inclusion of these labels makes for accurate and safe readings to ensure you always have the appropriate gas flow and level in your tank.
Those who are on a budget can still use a good propane tank gauge. This brand fits anything within 5 to 20 pounds and is easy to install!
- It’s the ideal option for those who are on a budget.
- These propane tank gauges are designed to fit the universal QCC-1 fittings that work with five to 20-pound propane gas tanks.
- The installation is easy and quick while not requiring special tools.
- The propane levels aren’t always accurate with the temperature-dependent functionality in colder conditions.
7. Shinestar Propane Tank Gauge – Best Versatility
The Shinestar Propane Tank Gauge earns the title of being our most versatile option on this list for several reasons. Its easy installation and effortless design make it perfect for those who want accurate readings on their propane gas flow. It also comes equipped with a thread leak tape that can fit all grilling devices with a type 1 connection. The dial of this appliance is color-coded for enhanced readability. Not to mention, this dial also alerts users if it detects any safety hazards or dangerous gas leaks. Not to mention, this gauge can easily be disassembled in minutes and quickly reinstalled to another propane-powered device.
However, this grilling gauge does come with a significant downfall. The accuracy sometimes needs to be questioned when it comes to its readings. Extremely hot or cold weather conditions can result in inaccurate measurements. Nonetheless, you can avoid this by taking the appliances inside and allowing the device to cool or warm until it’s at room temperature. This is going to reap the most accurate information.
Those who want something easy to install and versatile should choose this brand. It has a great design, so you can easily set it up or take it off.
- The Shinestar propane tank gauge is known for being extremely versatile and offers a straightforward installment.
- It has a thread seal tape that fits every appliance with a QCC1/Type 1 connection, which are propane gas tanks between five and 40 pounds.
- The design of this product allows it to be disassembled in minutes and re-installed to another propane tank.
- We found that the propane tank gauge level indicator can be quite inaccurate sometimes in extremely cold or hot weather conditions.
8. Gauge Master Premium Propane Tank Gauge – Best Heavy-Duty Option
The Gauge Master Premium Propane Tank Gauge is the best heavy-duty option on this list. Its construction includes durable materials that make this device built to withstand many external elements. In addition to this, the dial included in the construction is easy to read and can even be read in the dark. This is due to the inclusion of a glow-in-the-dark needle, so you can check your propane levels at night. Moreover, the Type 1 connection means that the product can be used with various propane gas tanks up to 20 pounds.
The gauge appliance is easy to install and works with various grills. It features a cover cap and anti-leak detection technology that can restrict the gas flow if a leak in the propane gas line is detected. In addition to this, this propane tank gauge is another option on this list that’s CS-approved. Not to mention, the brand manufacturing this device conforms to the necessary safety regulations and is built with DOT regulations in mind.
However, one flaw is that this appliance requires maintenance that other models on this list don’t need. We found several customer reviews that some malfunctions were discovered after mere months. Nonetheless, the company is also known for its excellent customer service and customers stated that the brand offered replacements for any defective or faulty parts.
If you don't mind maintenance, this gauge works wonderfully. It's highly durable and can last a long time.
- This propane tank gauge indication device is known for being one of the most durable appliances. The inclusion of heavy-duty brass aids in the product standing the test of time.
- The dial included in the propane tank’s design makes it extremely easy to read. This is even the case if you want to read your propane levels at night as the needle glows in the dark.
- One of the downsides to using this Gauge Master pressure gauge is that it needs a hefty amount of maintenance.
9. Gasland Propane Tank Gauge – Best Weather-Resistance
The Gasland Propane Tank Gauge is designed with high-quality brass construction. In addition to this, the device is sealed well and safe to use. The gauge features a gas leak detector that restricts gas flow if a leak in the propane gas line is found. You’re also alerted if there is a possible leak.
Adding to this, the product is known for having a weather-resistant construction, making it an excellent option for outdoor use. It also has a convenient fuel indicator. This means that you can easily view and monitor your propane gas levels while using the specific propane-powered appliance.
Do you live in a windy area? If so, this might be the gauge for you. Plus, it's water-resistant and easy to install with no specialty tools.
- The construction of this propane tank gauge includes high-quality brass that comes sealed well and has gas leak detection properties.
- ts water-resistance features make it an excellent option for outdoor use.
- This propane tank gauge is easy to install and doesn’t require any special tools.
- The accuracy of propane level indication results is dependent on the weather conditions. It’s important to keep this indicator at room temperature to receive the best results.
10. Grill Gauge Original Propane Tank Scale – Best Portability
The Grill Gauge Original Propane Tank Scale is the best option if you want a highly portable grill gauge that you can take with you wherever you go. The beauty behind this grill gauge is that you aren’t required to install it. This is because there aren’t any connections included in the design. All you need to do is hook this grill gauge to your propane tank handle. However, it’s crucial to understand that this gauge isn’t intended to be used with large propane tanks. Nonetheless, it can be used with 15 and 20-pound gas tanks.
The portability offered with this gauge product makes it ideal for outdoor activities, such as camping. However, the readings provided by this grilling gauge can be inconsistent. We found that these readings became more reliable when we used this gauge at room temperature. Colder conditions cause these appliances to produce inconsistent or inaccurate propane readings.
Are you constantly moving the gauge around to different tanks? If so, this is the best option because it's compact and doesn't require much to install!
- Its compact design and convenient non-existent installation process make this a brilliant portable option. This is because it doesn’t require any connections and can easily be hooked to the propane tank handle.
- The pressure gauge works exceptionally well with propane tanks that are around 15 to 20 pounds.
- We found that the readings offered by this propane tank gauge can be inconsistent at times when faced with extreme weather conditions.
What are the Benefits of Using Propane Tank Gauges?
Many advantages come with using a propane tank gauge, but some of the features we like the most about these products are:
A propane tank gauge is equipped to monitor the amount of propane you’re purchasing and using. Due to this, you can easily monitor your usage of propane. Thus, you can save money and time when it comes to purchasing a new tank.
Propane tank gauges are designed with several important safety features. It’s equipped to monitor your propane levels, but some models can also detect if any gas leaks are present in your propane tank. Adding to this, these propane tank gauges can detect when your propane tanks need to be replaced.
Easy to Use
It’s no secret that a propane tank gauge is easy to use. The interface included in most tank gauges is effortless to read and understand. This is because the needle included on the dial changes in conjunction with the propane levels present in your propane tank.back to menu ↑
What to Look for in a Gas Pressure Gauge
Many features should be considered before you purchase a propane gas gauge. Here are some of the elements you need to consider before you purchase one of the options on this list:
- Monitor Levels
- Installation Procedure
Frequently Asked Questions
Are propane tank gauges accurate?
This is entirely dependent on the gauge you’re using. Each model is designed differently, which means that the results are going to be different. External factors, such as temperatures, play a role in how accurate these gas level results are. Nonetheless, propane gas gauges are known for providing accurate information when used correctly.
Does a magnetic propane tank gauge work?
Magnetic propane tank gas gauges have the reputation of not working correctly. Due to this, we haven’t included any of these gauges in our list. Many customers have claimed that these magnetic gauges are prone to leaking, which is why we don’t recommend such appliances.
Can I place a gauge on my propane tank?
A propane tank gauge is an excellent option if approximate numbers don’t work well for you and you need to know the exact pressure being offered by your propane gas tank. This gauge can be placed on your propane tank. The most common way of doing this is by installing the device between the gas line and the cut-off valve.
How do gas gauges work?
A propane gas gauge is designed to measure the pressure of gas being pushed out of the tank and into the hose, which is attached to the RV, grill, or appliance. A common misconception is that propane tank gauges measure the level of propane gas present in these propane tanks.
Due to its construction, a propane tank gauge is only going to begin taking readings once the valve attached to these propane tanks is opened for gas to flow. You’re going to see that the dial needle of your propane tank gauge remains in the ‘full’ position once this gauge has been installed on your propane-powdered product. This reading shows that the gauge is reading the full gas pressure coming from the tank. Propane tanks are constructed to provide a consistent stream of pressure while using the specific propane-powdered appliance. The pressure from this propane tank only starts to fall when the tank is almost empty. The gauge is going to reflect this by the needle in the dial moving into the yellow portion.
When the dial is placed at low pressure, the flow of this propane gas is slowed and you’re only going to get around one or two cooks. At this time, it’s smart to think about getting the propane tank refilled or swop it for a new one. Propane tanks are no longer usable if the dial reads in red. It doesn’t mean it’s completely out of propane gas, but there is enough propane in the tank to provide enough pressure to push this gas through the hose.
How reliable are propane tank gauges?
No correlation is present between the amount of propane in your tank and the pressure of the gas being pushed out of the tank. Although the pressure inside this propane tank doesn’t tell you how much gas is in the tank, it still has some significance. Too much pressure being generated from this gas can damage your propane-powered appliance. On the other hand, not enough pressure isn’t going to give enough gas to properly use this appliance. For example, a propane-powdered grill can’t cook if not enough pressure is being generated.
The mechanical propane regulators that are attached to these propane-powdered appliances are included to ensure that consistent pressure is being generated and is appropriate for the specific appliance. It’s no secret that propane tank gauges are handy resources that inform you when the pressure present in your propane tanks is running low. Thus, these gauges can be seen as being reliable.
Are you required to turn the gas on to get a reading?
Propane tank gauges can’t give a reading until the value of the tank has been opened and gas is flowing into the hose. The dial included in a gauge only works by reading the gas flow. There isn’t going to be any gas flow to the gauge and no reading can be provided on the dial until this valve is opened. With that being said, these gauges can be easily installed by hand. All you’re required to do is open the propane tank value after this gauge is installed to have a reading reflected on the gauge’s dial.
Do these gauges work on different tank sizes?
You’re required to check the specifications for each gauge, but these devices typically work on different-sized tanks. Most of these gauges are designed and produced for consumer use and can fit the most common-sized propane tanks. These tanks are generally no larger than 20 lb. and are used for backyard grilling. With that being said, Dozyant propane tank gauge products are known to also fit propane gas tanks up to 40 lbs. These tanks are equipped with the type-1 female thread fixture. However, POL-type propane tanks of more than 100 lbs feature male thread pictures. Nonetheless, the product description of each product is helpful as it typically states if the gauge can git POL-type large tanks.back to menu ↑
Wrapping it Up
We hope that this article has helped shed light on how propane tank gauges work and what are some of the best considerations that you should invest in. Our recommendation to you for a high-quality propane tank gauge that you can’t go wrong with is the DOZYANT Propane Tank Gauge. Its color-coded gauge is an excellent feature that makes it easy to read. Otherwise, a more durable option would be the GasOne 50120 Propane Gas Tank Gauge. Nonetheless, the other recommendations in this article also fit the Nast requirements customers generally have when searching for a gauge for their propane-powered product.